See pictures from Botswana!

http://medicalstudentinbotswana.shutterfly.com/

Enjoy!

NEW PICS!!!! Elizabeth's Visit and the Parent's Visit!!!!

Monday, June 29, 2009

6-26 thru 28-09-Fri thru Sun



Once again, weekends prove to be amazing and eventful in Botswana. We started Friday off by joining the OU kids at the bar (this might actually have been on Thursday, but I don’t remember anymore). We watched the Brazil/SA game. Oh, yeah, this definitely was on Thursday. It was a fun night and reminded me a lot of college. On Friday night, we went out for the first of two farewell dinners for Miryah. We went to this place called Apache at river walk. American style food. Seemed a lot like chilis. But it really wasn’t that good. Oh well.

Saturday was Teen Club. I have been waiting for this event from the beginning of the month. It’s a great program that gathers all the teens from our clinic and has them come in for one Saturday a month. The teens are split into older and younger teens. One half plays sports while the other stays at the clinic to learn about something important to teenage life and HIV. This month the younger teens stayed and learned out rape ( a tough talk for younger children, but important). The older teens went with me (I was the sports leader) to a local school to play all types of sports. There were a ton of volunteers (~7 at sports) and a group of 10 “teen leaders” (clinic teens that step up to lead the group). These teens are essential. The younger kids do anything they say. Its great to see.

Anyways, the morning started in the cold with a pick up game of football with all ages (about 115 children in all). We then had ice-breakers and split up into our two groups. The older teens actually set up a very intense football game. I finally got to play football with the locals and they are indeed good. Nevertheless, it got me a lot of respect among the teens. Apparently they do not see many white kids that can play. The day ended with a wrap up, giving travel money to all the teens and lunch. I was a very nice day and all the teens seemed very happy to be there. I plan to be the sport leader at the July Teen Club (which I actually think my parents will be here for).

Sunday was the start of a very long adventure. We woke up early to finish doing laundry (we had to wash all the sheets because we were all switching rooms) and then walked got in the car (that was given to us by Ryan because his girl friend is away for 2 months). We picked up Stu, Courtney and Kate and began our adventure to South Africa. The trip down there was fantastic! Beautiful day, bright sun and very little traffic. We were able to get all the way to Madikwe (where we all went our first weekend) in only an hour including the stop at the border. And two hours after that (after sorta getting lost in Zeerust) we were in Rustenberg, SA. The town was going crazy. People all over with red, black and green flags yelling and blowing those horns you always hear on tv.

After meeting up with ryan and getting our tickets, we were able to buy a SA jersey off a street vendor for 150 pula ($20). That’s nothing! The same jersey costs 600 (~$80) Rand in the stadium. So I was happy. We made our way, in our new gear, to the alternate stadium where everyone parks for the game. Not to mention that the parking was free, but we also got free combis shuttles to the real stadium! You would never find that in the states. Everyone was singing and dancing on the way to the game. It was finally nice to be in the middle of people that live for soccer! Once again, you wouldn’t find this atmosphere in the states.

We got to the stadium, got some drinks and food and found our seats. Little did we know, but our seats were 3rd row at about the 18 yard box! Minus the sun being in our eyes, these were the best soccer seats I’ve ever had! At times I was only like 10 meters from some of the best players in the world. We took pictures and enjoyed the game. SA scored in the 72nd min and the stadium went wild! We took this as our cue to leave. We had been warned that getting out of the stadium is impossible, so we all agreed to leave early (not to mention that we had a long drive ahead of us). As we were leaving we hear Spain score. As we were getting into the combis, we hear SA score. When I get back to work on Monday (I’m writing this on Tuesday), I hear that 2 more goals were scored after that!!! I’ve learned my lesson. Do not leave soccer games early!

Even though we missed the game basically, I enjoyed it a lot. The drive home, however, was terrible. These two lane roads going at 120 kph in the pitch black raised my stress level above anything its been since I’ve been here and my eyes strained as cars flew by me in the opposite directions with their brights on. Nevertheless, we made it home, only to be greeted by a locked screen door. Clearly, our new roommate was home.

Sparing the details, we woke her up and got in side and then crashed into bed. I’m sharing a room with JW now. Its really not that bad, except the electricity supplying the electric fence around our house is generated by a box in our closet. It’s a rhythmic ticking noise. If you know me, I hate this! If there is an old school clock in a room I’m sleeping in, I take it down and put it into a different room. For Sunday night, I just put up with it. But, last night, Beth reminded me that ear plugs work well for her. So I tried em, and voila, slept like a baby. Thanks Elizabeth!


Next weekend features the Forth of July on Saturday and a zebras game on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment