See pictures from Botswana!

http://medicalstudentinbotswana.shutterfly.com/

Enjoy!

NEW PICS!!!! Elizabeth's Visit and the Parent's Visit!!!!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

6-9-09- Tuesday

Today started off rough (as you could have read from Monday’s entry). “It never rains in the winter Doctor.” This was what one of the children told me at clinic Monday morning after I asked him if it were going to rain. They call me doctor to eliminate confusion. It’s a little weird, but I can get used to it. So, anyways, it rained all night and heavily into the morning, stopping shortly after we got to clinic, of course.

I started off the morning with Norma, the same doc I was with yesterday. I was to stay with her until the African intern came in, then I would leave to get back to my project. For the two hours I was there we focused on one child. A 16 month old that had recently been tested HIV+ but has been continually hospitalized for various vicious opportunistic infections. She seemed to have the entire taxonomy of life in her frail little body. She had salmonellae in her stool, protozoa in her blood, fungi in her lacerating diaper rash, thrush in her mouth and throat and worst off all, she would not respond to my actions. I would call for her and she wouldn’t move her head, I would move my hands and she wouldn’t watch. This kid was being attacked from all angles and it was most evident in her cry. An almost inaudible wail, too gentle to signal distress, too lethargic to elicit parental response. This child, who hasn’t even had the chance to get on HAART (because of the many OIs), that would spare her from HIV, is dying. Norma left the clinic, marched to the PMH (Princess Marina Hospital; which is right next door) and demanded immediate treatment. Norma impressed me today. I only hope I could be as whole-hearted as she is. I will check on the little one tomorrow.

After a heavy morning, I transitioned to my real project and started authoring. The idea is simple, but the process is complicated. Throughout the afternoon, I was able to partially complete 2 of 27 pages. This may take me longer than I expected. It doesn’t help that the internet is incredibly slow.

The afternoon ended suddenly with a going away meeting for 3 of the PAC docs. Listening to the respect they gathered from the COE and the accomplishments they have made while here for such a short time belittles my tiny struggle in medical school. All three are clearly great doctors and are good at treating patients. But even more, they are great people for what they have given up to better the lives of children in Botswana. These people all deserve much more then they receive.

The night ended with an egg and cheese sandwich for dinner (a tribute to Beth) and movie night with the roommates. I felt safe and comfortable with the 4 of us all sitting on one 3-person couch, laughing together at a ridiculous movie playing on a tiny MAC screen. I know this is going to be a long and difficult summer, but at least I know I will be completing it, as Beth reminded me, surrounded by especially good people. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment