See pictures from Botswana!

http://medicalstudentinbotswana.shutterfly.com/

Enjoy!

NEW PICS!!!! Elizabeth's Visit and the Parent's Visit!!!!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

6-6-09-Saturday

Our first weekend! I slept into about 9 and woke up ready to go climb a mt. Kgale. This was on the other side of the city near a fantastic mall called Game City. To get there we had to trek through the “slums” of Gaborone. It was amazing to see how there homes and villages were built. Small mud homes with sheets of thin metal held down with rocks for a roof. Many groups of children played soccer near the street where the dirt was plentiful. As we drove by, I couldn’t help but want to get and play soccer with them, but I had a feeling that a white person would not be too accepted. A couple km away sits a long strip mall featuring a brand new KFC hosting a large dance-off for free chicken. But we would return to this site later.

We met up with Stu who got a ride from his cousin and we made our way about a half km to the trail head. The trail was scarcely labeled and filled with rocks. We made our way to the top (taking about an hour and a half) where the views of Bots took my breath away (see pics). Also greeting us at the top was a religious cult of some sort and a sign reminding me of how far away I am from home and how far away Elizabeth will be when she leaves for China. It was a sad reminder, but the spirit of the air and sceneries helped me not think about it. Overall it was a fantastic and challenging hike. We plan to go back again some day.

On the way back we stopped by the mall to pick me up a cell phone. Now I can call home for about 7 pula/min and locally for about 1pula/min. And best of all, I can receive calls 100% free!! So, anyone at home, feel free to call me at anytime: +26772720542.

This trip took us so long that I missed my date for the News Café that promised us free internet if we ordered something. After about a mile’s walk there, JW and I found ourselves fresh out of luck. The girls joined us shortly after. They took the taxi driven by Tshopo, the cabbie we met our first day here. When he got here, he asked the girls if he could speak to me. I was certainly confused, but went to talk to him anyways. Turns out he was able to find tickets to the Zebra’s game that was today (The national soccer team). I was shocked. I know he was just trying to make money, but he went way out of his way to do it and I appreciated that. After we ate, we walked home (I called Elizabeth on the way to test the phone out and to say Hi). I showered and then called the Tshopo to take us to The Riverwalk (where there was another internet café). Tshopo, in another act of friendship took 10pula off his fare (making it only cost 20pula to get to Riverwalk (~$3.50)). As we got out of the cab he gave me the handshake of a friend (which is very similar to the handshake I used to do in high school, just repeated; hard to explain). I gave him an extra 20pula (100% tip) for his good nature and for thinking about the soccer match for me. He called me his brother. I think it will become important to have a Gaborone friend in the next two months.

This café worked and I was able to finally skype home which was a huge weight off my back. I relaxed, sipping Bots coffee and enjoyed the open air coffee shop. We decided to return home to save money and ordered pizza from the famous Debonairs’. We shall see if it lives up to its fame…. Ironically, as I was writing this they showed up. Wrong order, he had to go back. Maybe we will never know how good it is :(.

Also, starting this week I will be in clinic every morning so I do not have time to play around with the blog. I will try to fit in everything exciting, but I apologize if the frequency declines. Also, I never edit these things and I know there are a lot of mistakes. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment