See pictures from Botswana!

http://medicalstudentinbotswana.shutterfly.com/

Enjoy!

NEW PICS!!!! Elizabeth's Visit and the Parent's Visit!!!!

Monday, June 29, 2009

6-24 thru 26-09- Wednesday-Friday

The rest of the week was pretty busy, thus no blog. I spent Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in clinic switching between working with Abilash and Andres. The goal had been to see enough patients and get enough practice so that I could see my own patients for 2 hours each morning. But, after seeing 3 TB, and 4 admits all on Wednesday, I came to the quick conclusion that I am no where ready enough to take HIV patients on my own (and I probably will never be this summer). The medicine these docs do is above anything I’ve worked with yet. To think that I could take some on my own was just plain silly. I could handle the well controlled HIV kids, no problem. But just to give you a short list of things I could not handle on my own:

1. Teenager with poor adherence and probably right knee septic arthritis. I have no idea how to tap a knee!
2. Poor adherence in an 8 yo complicated with new TB. Aside from being coughed on by a kid with TB, I have no clue how to order tests and medications for TB
3. teenager with gigantic anterior cervical lymph nodes (4x4cm easily). FNB later would be + for TB. TB in a lymph node? Yeah, no clue.
4. baby form my earlier blogs with proteus, salmonella, HIV and no HAART and about to die. This is even near impossible for experienced doctors, I just was happy to see this baby back two weeks later.

This list could go on forever, but I’ll spare you all the boredom. Long story short, I will continue to shadow every once and while, but focus on getting more computer cases done. I’ve also decided to join the phlebotomy lab and try to pic up some technique while I am here. Relatively speaking, I have very little time left here and I want to make sure that my work gets done on time.

Speaking of that, this blog marks the end of my first four weeks…They did pass quickly.

Also, I forgot to mention. We heard that we were getting a new roommate to replace Miryah on Sunday…more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment